Thursday, August 27, 2009

I am fretting about some of my students.

I wasn't going to post any more today, but I'm at home and worrying about some students I had to reprimand today. I lost my cool with one of them -- it was like I couldn't take it any more negative vibes. Even though this student needed to quit disrupting others' learning processes, I should have maintained better control of my emotions.

I need to be mindful that many of my students have not had very many English class successes and some have not been able to continue on past the ISTEP testing requirements. More and more I think the problem is about how these students feel about themselves as learners. Repeatedly, students have indicated their belief that what I am asking them to do is impossible. I have studied the progress of each student and (THANK GOODNESS!) every one of them is dead wrong about him/herself. They can all do this. They just want to avoid what they think is impossible and that is causing the disruptions to learning and the futility I sense from them.

I am sitting here conjuring ways for them to see that mastering a list of root words is not only possible, but will be very beneficial to the rest of their lives. One conclusion I HAVE made is: Some of my students may have given up, but I never will!

No comments:

Post a Comment