Tuesday, June 29, 2010

From an email to my 5-year-old niece.

Hello there Mary.


Right now I am writing you from the Legacy Hotel in Jerusalem. It's seven in the morning here. I should be studying my Arabic homework instead of writing to you, but I was thinking about you and just had to write. I have my one-hour Arabic lesson in 75 minutes.

My plane brought me here 12 days ago and I am homesick even though I am really happy to be learning new things. The thing I like most are all the different kinds of people and languages here. This morning at breakfast on the top floor of the hotel I think I heard two teenagers talking in Japanese. I wish you were here to tell me for sure.

Mary, even though this is a very important place in the world where people are supposed to feel good about life, It's really sad. Yesterday when I was in a city called Ramallah, a little boy (seven or eight) years old and one of his younger friends were trying to sell me little pieces of paper because they were so poor. They were selling the papers (bugging me and my friends) and they were so nice at the same time. When the older boy quit bugging me, I gave him two sheckles (the name of the money here like two dimes.)

He thanked me ten times in two languages, English and Arabic. He would say "Thank koo" and I would say "Ahf-wan" and then he would repeat "Thank koo" many times until I switched from Arabic to say "You're Welcome." And then with a teasing smile on his face he said, "Shouk-ran" (That's Arabic for thank you) and I said "You're welcome" and he wouldn't stop until I switched back to Arabic and said "Afwan." We played this little game for a while and then he started selling to someone else right next to me. Well, the whole reason my friends and I were standing on the street was to taste some fantastic Palestinian ice cream. It was so so good. I had pinneapple. Anyway, while the little boy wasn't looking, I bought him a cup of Rocky-Road ice cream. At first he just wouldn't take it because he didn't want me to think he was selfish. Then I kept trying to give it to him three more times. He finally took the ice cream from my hands and tasted it. While he tasted it, we played the thank you game again. I really like this kid. You would too.

Later, when I was on the other side of the street, we saw each other again. He grinned and said, "Mmmmmmm!" Then he showed me his belly and ran away.

Well, Mary. I had better get ready for Arabic lessons. I hope to see you soon in Indiana.


Uncle Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment